Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 1: A lonely right pocket

Oh phone. Dear,sweet, phone. How deeply I miss the feeling of you in my right pant pocket. The subtle, sophisticated weight you place on the pant. The unparalleled thrill when I would non-chalantly reach my hand into the pocket, grasping my hands around your case ever so tightly. Then I would proceed to slyly place my index finger on the home button, bring our faces together, yours brightly lit with a sunny picture of the Del Mar canyon and whatever the time and date is/was. Then, maybe I'd slide your screen to the left, and follow that up with a text message, browsing, or (not so proudly) check my Instagram feed.

Oh wait...I CAN'T DO ANY OF THAT

Salutations people of the world. And by people of the world I mean the sad, sad individuals who consider reading a blog by a pretentious 15 year old Asian kid from San Diego as acceptable entertainment. Sorry, I apologize. One, for insulting you, and two, for you not finding better things to do with your life. Seriously, like go to the beach. Take a jog. Spend quality time with friends and families. Wait, what do those things all have in common? They are things that I SHOULD BE DOING. But of course due to a bittersweet combination of busy and lazy those things are not happening right now. Will they ever? God I hope so. Stay tuned to find out.

I knew I would underestimate the convenience of having a smart phone constantly in my right pant pocket, but not to this crazed, absurd degree (1st day and I'm already showing signs of impending mental health issues!). I probably put my hand in my right pocket say, 20-30 times today. And each realization of my tragic, voluntary loss became more concerning and depressing with each touch. The worst thing though is that smart phones can do like EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything. I want to know the MPAA rating for the latest movie? Boom. Smart phones got it. I want to look up that one song I can't get out of my head that I know is by The Beatles but I don't know the name of? Boom. YouTube on your smart phone. Need to know the name of that one place your friend went to last week? Boom. Their over-filtered Instagram post has got the job done. EVARYTHANG. And in the palm of your freakin hand. With the press of a button, the whole universe is at your disposal, serving every need and curiosity built up inside.

Excuse me a few minutes while I cry into an enclosed, hopefully sound proof space.

Well, that didn't help at all. Oh, you guys wanna hear about my day without technology? Really? Man, you guys are too cool. I barely had to ask.

For the most part, the school day moved by pretty quickly and it was maybe slightly less painful than I had initially anticipated. The only thing that killed me was during math class. We had a test today on probability problems (which parallel the pain of swallowing an entire cactus whole. Trust me, I know from zero experience) and after tests, the teacher kindly lets us use our electronic devices. So there I was, awkwardly tapping my hands on my desk and pounding random numbers into a calculator as an overwhelming plethora of iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Macbooks surround me like a crowd of vicious sharks swimming around a fat, middle aged man who can't swim (strange simile? Well, it's not the last!). Wow that's kind of depressing. My apologies to the readers (reader? A singular reader. Or no readers? Ya, I'll go with the latter). You know what would get my mind off of that strange image? A calm, relaxing game of "Dumb Ways to Die". In fact, let me get my iPhone right...

oh ya.

Anyway, leave it to the nerdy Asian kid in math class to use his free time after the test to play with a calculator. First off random kid in my math class who just said that, that was rude and racist. Frankly, that's offensive. Also, I'm not nerdy (I'm getting a low A in REGULAR Algebra 2. Most Asians are getting A's in AP Calc Honors BC. OK, that was a bit racist. If you haven't noticed already hypocrisy runs rampant through this blog). And I'm not Asian. I'M HALF. Jeez, get your facts right.

Maintaing a no tech based lifestyle at home has been a bit more challenging I must admit. If I have a homework free minute what the frick am I supposed to do?

Commence the epicness of CEILING STARING!! WOOT WOOT. Or better yet? FLOOORRR STARING. Really gets the adrenaline pumping, let me tell ya.

Well I think that about wraps it up for today. Hope I didn't waste your time. Ah who am I kidding I wasted your time. Or I wasted no one's time cause I'm pretty sure people have better things to do than read this blog. That puts me at ease. You know, I'll probably get so acquainted with my floors and ceilings that I might just analyze there features for the next 6 days. Now talk about adrenaline pumping...

No comments:

Post a Comment