Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 6: What the hell am I supposed to do?

Yesterday, I talked about how Saturday was, by far in a way, my favorite day of the week. It's that nice sweet spot in the middle of the weekend, where you feel transported to somewhat of a "mini-vacation", a nice little island away from school and any superfluous teenage worries. And it's usually the day of the week where friends get together to "chill" or "kick-back" or whatever the cool kids call it these days. It's a pretty great day. Now if you ask the average teenager what their least favorite day of the week is, I can bet you that 90% of them would say MONDAY, and yes, I would agree that Monday is an undisputably shitty day, for quite obvious reasons. Firstly, no one wants to go back to school, secondly, your tired because of you procrastinated and didn't start HW til 10:00 last night and finally...IT'S MONDAY. It's pretty self explanatory. What does Mon even mean. Monk day?? In ancient times did we all dress up as monks and isolate ourselves because Mondays are so shitty?? Was the n a typo and it's actually mom day?? A day for the appreciation of Moms everywhere (which frankly should exist because seriously guys, Moms are freakin great. Like, we don't even realize). Basically, I can't find the meaning of Monday, and frankly I don't see the point in them either (but then TUESDAY would be every one's least favorite day, and then WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY, and soon the cycle never ends). However, even though I went through all that trouble to write basically a whole paragraph dedicated my strong distaste towards Mondays, it's not my least favorite day of the week. Not even close. If you haven't guessed by now, it's Sunday, and if you have, good job for you. Figurative gold star.

I'm sure if any of my 15 year old counterparts have taken a break from COD (Call of Duty) or Pretty Little Liars (seriously what is so great about that show)? or any of the BBC FanDom shows (Sherlock, Doctor Who, etc. which have somehow, by some strange miracle, have more of a FEMALE audience than males which never seeks to astound me), to read this blog, your probably thinking "Cameron you newb, how could you POSSIBLY hate Sundays more than Mondays???". Thank you for asking obnoxious teenage brat. Well I'll tell ya. There's something about it, the very essence of Sundays, that is just downright DEPRESSING. Because what comes after Sunday? Monday. And what happens on Monday?? The end of the weekend, and the start of the school week. So Sunday is incredibly sad because the entire day your dreading to go to bed because you know you have to wake up and go to SCHOOL in the morning. And even though school can, of course, be fun, I don't think teenagers idea of fun is the thought of waking up to the wonders of education and learning. So when I woke up this morning, I began to wallow in a vast pool of self pity. One, because, well, I hate Sundays, and two, I'm still technology free.

On Saturday, I discussed how I like to lay in my bed for a good 30 minutes before I start my day. Well, since I had absolutely nothing to look forward to today, I'm pretty sure I sat there for a good hour or so, staring at the wall, trying to entertain myself with interesting thoughts about movie ideas or things to do with my friends, anything to make the time go faster as I sat there in my lonesome. I lay there longer and longer until the bed became so hot that I got up as quickly as possible, so I wouldn't feel that horrible feeling when stuffiness and heat mesh to make one uncomfortable-ass sensation. I put my feet to the carpet, and slowly trudged along and went to the family room. I spent the 1st 10 minutes pacing endlessly, my mind completely devoid of thought, as I basically sleepwalked through my thoughts, which were comprised with the occasional movie image and fantasy movie trailer. I spent the next hour working feverishly, coming up with dozens of movies by the minute, whether it be remakes of films I hated, sequels to films I loved, or completely original ideas. I do this quite frequently actually, but today I tried harder than I had in a very long time to entertain myself with...myself. After a good 2 hours of this, my mom and sister woke up, I realized, with a look of deep sadness in my eyes, that it was only noon.

There has been many a time during this seemingly endless week where I feel as though I'm drifting through limbo. Through pits of nothingness that contain nothing and carry nothing and have nothing inside. It's a really strange feeling and one that I haven't grown to hate, but haven't necessarily grown to like or enjoy. My opinion on it is very mixed. I will say, I would've liked to have gone on a walk, something I haven't done in an incredibly long time, or go on a bike ride with the January wind pounding on my face, or take a jog, or ride on my Rip stick. To be precise and to the point, I wish I had taken advantage of the outdoors more. That was one thing I was legitimately looking forward too and never got to do. But there's no use in regretting, of course.

I'm not going to go into much more detail about my uneventful and, at times, painfully long Sunday (because it would be painful for you, the reader, as well), but I will close with telling you a little about a book I decided to reread. WHATTTT???? CAMERON'S READING AGAIN???? This week must really be bringing him down if he has to resort to reading. Well, if you read my Friday post, you would know that I miss reading a lot and it's something that I wish I did more. So I decided to reread one of my favorite childhood books titled, I'm not kidding you, There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, by the iconic Children's author Louis Sachar. Sachar wrote the wonderfully bizarre Sideways Stories from Wayside School, which, I feel, was one of the 1st novels for kids that was really geared towards adults, because, let's be honest guys, those books can get really weird, really fast. But that's why I like Sachar. He's got a strange, twisted writing-style, which I really appreciate because I'm someone who really digs twisted art, whether it be a play, a movie, or a book. And while I do love his hilarious Sideways Stories books, There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, is his masterpiece.

I'm sure my credibility as a valid source just dropped substantially, since I'm calling a book, who's title describes an action of great childhood embarrassment and immaturity, a masterpiece. But don't let the juvenile title fool you to think this is your generic 2nd grade classroom "read out loud" book. In fact, my only problem with There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, is its title. Not because it's a bad title, not at all. It's actually the perfect title, capturing the very essence of the book in seven words. I hate it because it instantly makes young readers alike think "Oh this book is for BABYS. I'M NOT A BABY." Hear me out though, After reading the first few pages, you will be instantly sucked into the whimsical, humorous, and incredibly poignant world of 5th grade delinquent Bradley Chalkers, who might just be the most wonderfully complex protagonist I've ever read in a children's book (even though it really isn't a book for children at all, as it contains emotionally mature messages that will fly over little ones heads).   The book centers around the seemingly awful Chalkers and his beautiful relationship with the school counselor, Carla Davis. The 1st time I read it, I think in the 4th grade, I was gripped from beginning to end, and it was entertaining and pleasing to read about this strange anti-hero's transformation from bully to "good-guy". After reading it last night, I almost cried. This book is heavily underrated, and should be required middle school, or even high school reading, for all adolescents across the globe. Sachar takes the subject of bullying, and approaches in a way that is unparalleled genius, and writes with great honesty and integrity. There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom is now one of my Top 5 favorite books of all time, as it accomplishes everything a book should and then some. It has a complex and interesting protagonist, characters you actually care about, a distinct writing style, humor and heart, and it (unlike MANY children's books, too many in fact) it never talks down to them or "dumbs it down". In fact, quite the contrary. This is the easily the most mature and deeply felt children's novel I've ever read, and it single handedly restored my faith in literature. Ya, it's that good.

I apologize for that mini book report, I just REALLY want everyone to read the book, because it's a god damn masterpiece. Rereading that book has definitely been the highlight of my technology fast so far, and something I'm really glad I was able to do.

Tomorrow is it. The final day of the Cameron Chang Technology Fast. It's gonna be an intensley exciting blog with surprises, musical guests, celebrity interviews, and much, much more. It's the can't miss event of the whole freakin season. OK, there are no surprises. Or musical guests. Or celebrities. Or much, much more. I'm sorry. Just...it'll be a good blog. Be there or be square.

No comments:

Post a Comment