Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day 7: The end is nigh

This morning (I've been capping a lot of these posts with my mornings haven't I? Well you know the old saying, you can learn the most about people through their morning actions. If you haven't figured it out, that's not a saying. In fact, it's quite stalker-esque. If any stalkers are reading this first and foremost, hi! Welcome to the blog, I hope your finding some interest. Secondly, get the hell out of here and hopefully I didn't just help one of your plans. What were we talking about again? Ah, hell if I know. Let's resume) started off like any old Monday morning (cue in the chirping birds and "Death Cab for Cutie" tune "On a Monday morning"). It took me 25, I kid you not, 25 minutes to physically GET out of bed, and then a couple minutes staring at the carpet as I nearly tripped on my own feet a few times. My tiger-like reflexes just hadn't kicked in yet. But they did, of course they did. I'm a freakin Asian. I came out of the womb with a black belt around my body and a ninja star in my belly button.  OK that's not true. In fact if that didn't happen, either the viewer of that situation is crazy, or that baby has a LOT of explaining to do with their parents. Anyway, I then wiped my watery red eyes and proceeded to the bathroom. I looked at myself squarely in the mirror, examining all the the little details and imperfections of my face.

Then it hit me. Like a little league baseball pitch to the nuts. Like a 7th grade slap to the face (only some of my readers will understand that), like a bucket of ice-cubes seeping down your back.

Only, this was a positive hit, one of extreme energy, excitement and relief.

Today was the final day.

Let me repeat that. Monday, January 14th 2013, is the final day of my technology fast. My daring and bold (debatable) self expose on what would happen to the mind of one teenager if his best friend (technology) was suddenly taken away from him, with no warning.

Technology. Technology is (basically) every teenager's best friend, lover, and personal obsession. It is the key to many doors, filled with excitement and surprises around any corner. And it keeps us away from our biggest, greatest fear. Boredom. Entertainment, to teenagers is like food, or drink, or crack cocaine to the highly troubled. If we do not consume it day by day, in massive quantities, we will feel as though parts of ourselves have died and withered away, and I found Boredom very quickly, and have looked him squarely in the eye during many parts of this week. But, I've learned that there's something I can to Boredom. I can tell him to go away. Whenever I want. No one has to be bored. As I've previously stated, we have the capability, as the most intelligent species on planet earth, to, well, NOT BE BORED. It's really that simple. We have the resources and brain power to be entertained by things that aren't on flashy screens. It may sound like I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm not. I love technology, and don't necessarily ENJOY having to come UP with ways to entertain myself, which has always been the job of my phone, computer, and TV. So you could say I'm a bit excited to get it back.

Today, I went back to school after the long (it felt) weekend, which is always a hard thing to do. The school day felt tedious and long, because all I could think about was staring my iPhone 4S in the eyes again. Oh how I missed my darling companion. The hours of endless staring and virtual chatting. The laughter that would escape my body whenever it would show me a funny video. The times I stared at it in awe as it displayed wonderful pictures of beach sunsets, canyons, something of that nature. Sometimes we would stay up til 2 a.m. and stare at each other blankly. I've missed that dearly, and while I'm sure this week was technically "healthier" for me, that sickly, lonely feeling will go away come tomorrow. I'm hyperventilating it just thinking about it. I just hope, I don't over hype myself. One of my worst flaws is I tend to "over hype" many different situations, and what follows is massive disappointment, but I'm nearly positive that that won't be the case.

I will say, if there's something I will miss, besides the heavy breathing, occasional panic attacks, manic sweating, consistent boredom, and overall crazed state, it's the sporadic moments of peace and quiet that entered my technology free life. I'm exposed to a lot of noise and visuals from my electronics, and since I didn't have them this week there was a lot of down time. For the most part, I did not enjoy this because I'm someone who likes to be DOING STUFF most of the time. But there were these quiet moments, these almost spiritual moments of calm that came once or twice a day, that was pure, unparalleled bliss. I appreciated the "walls", that I claim boring, around me. I appreciated the faint moaning of the air heater, and the small sounds of the house floors creaking every 10 or so minutes. I appreciated the texture of my bed as I lay on it, eyes closed, lights on though, taking in the day with deep breaths and wonderful silence. Those are moments I will indeed miss.

But enough of that pseudo poetry I'M GETTING MY PHONE BACK. It was almost as if I was living off minimum wage for a week (OK THAT'S not true). I deserve a medal for this. Hundreds of medals, and a classy blue ribbon to top it off. And all my hard work will pay off once I get my precious technology back in the arms of papa.

Was this a shorter blog, yes, but honestly besides my feelings of excitement it was a pretty (unfortunately) uneventful day, and I wish that something awesome had happened, to cap off the end of the Cameron Chang technology fast with a bang. But, alas.

Well there you have it, the final day is coming to close, and I'm left with a feeling of satisfaction and relief.

Don't worry my loyal devoted fans! Even though this is, in fact, the final day, I will be back for the final entry come tomorrow, as I summarize my week, and what I learned, blah blah blah.

Just a good 10 hours more and liberation is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment