Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 5: An extremely depressing morning

Waking up on Saturday Mornings in the late hours of the morning is a sensation of pure bliss and wondrous tranquility. You open your eyes to the glorious sight of beams of light seeping through the window shades, and you can hear the faint but beautiful sounds of blue and green birds chirping in the distance, as they cuddle in their nests, which are located in the foliage that surrounds your house, who embody the prescience of strong, watchful gatekeepers. You bring your fists to your eyes and rub them gently for comfort, and stretch your arms "to the sky" in order to perk yourself up a bit. Then you (I don't know everybody, but I tend to do this all the time) usually just sit there in the comfort of your bed and close your eyes, knowing your not going to fall back asleep, but greedily relishing in the morning energy and preparing yourself for the day ahead. After this, you slowly step out of bed, trudging and limping a bit as you emerge from your cocoon, slowly adjusting to the environment around you: The floor, the temperature, the walls, etc. Then you might blink a couple times to perk up your energy and do some more adjusting.

After this beautiful morning ritual has been nonchalantly performed what happens now? What activity/and or action will be practiced to start off your Saturday morning the right way? What on earth could serve as positive kick-off to this hopefully incredible day??

Don't act like you don't know what it is guys. You know perfectly well what it is.

Saturday is my favorite day of the week for a number of reasons, and I'm sure many of my adolescent counterparts would be in full agreement with that statement. I think out of all the days of the week,  the only day that I can really associate with an adjective is Saturday. That adjective is relaxation. Ahhh relaxation. What a lovely word, isn't that a lovely word? Every time I hear it or say or see it in a newspaper, or magazine, or ad or something of that nature, a plethora of good vibes never ceases to invade my thoughts. That's one of my very favorite words, cause it's makes me feel SO FREAKIN GOOD. And yes, the entire day of Saturday for the majority of human beings is not filled to the brim with ENDLESS relaxation. Not only would that be highly unrealistic because human nature decrees us to be "abnormally" (even though its really quite ordinary) stressed out 70-80% of the time, but if ALL of Saturday was relaxing, we wouldn't appreciate it as much and many would classify it as "boring" (which is a word I've gotten extremely familiar with this week). And also, people have homework and commitments and stuff like that, of course. But every Saturday, without fail, before I start my weekend homework (isn't weekend homework the worst. The whole frickin point of the weekend is that it's a break from school, not an at home continuation. And seriously, teachers of the world, I hope some of you are listening to this, because I want you to hear me loud and clear. HIGH SCHOOLERS ARE BUSY. REALLY BUSY. And when does a great majority of our busyness take place? THE. WEEK. ENDDDD. Teachers, you giving us great amounts of homework during the weekend not only places in a crazy time crunch, but it also adds on to the mental paranoia and stress that we high schoolers posses. So please, good, civil teachers, if your gonna assign any homework during the weekend, be a reasonable person and make it quick and minimal. That is all), I pull my phone out of the charger and use it for a good 1, 2 hours. This sounds obsessive, yes, (well that's because it is), but it serves as a "waker upper" for me. Plus it sets up the relaxing vibe for the day. No, it's probably not that great for my health that one of the 1st things I see every Saturday morning is a small, flashing screen, sending endless radiation in my not fully evolved brain, but, it puts me in a positive mood and that's good enough for me.

And even though this is DAY 5 of the Cameron Chang Technology Fast (copyright pending), I still woke up this morning, performed my ritual, and walked towards the charger to start off the day right.

After 3 seconds of walking I stopped in my tracks and sulked back into my room.

What do I now?? What could possibly fill this terrible void???

Well, in all honesty, nothing can or has filled that void. It's simply impossible. I am too accustomed to my current state of privileged living that the place in my heart (cheesy, I know) I have for my electronics, especially my phone is irreplaceable.

After 2 hours of boring nothingness (which I'll touch on later in the blog) I decided that it was time to do some homework. More specifically, it was time to do some AP World History. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy history class, I do. I especially enjoy world-history class, because I find learning about the mistakes and triumphs of the past to be utterly fascinating and highly interesting. But AP World is one slog of a class, holy crap. 60 pages of reading a week? 2 quizzes a week? 1 5 paragraph essay a week? A 50 question test that counts for 70% of your grade every 2-3 weeks?? It doesn't sound too hard, but it is. When I read the chapters at home, it's very comforting to have my phone in my right pocket, to take a short (I use that term loosely) break or entertain myself during the boring sections of the read. Obviously, I didn't have that today and as a result, my reading ended early and I resumed the excitement of wall staring because, frankly, that seemed a bit more interesting then what I was reading.

Luckily, I knew this wouldn't be the worst Saturday of all time, because I was going to my school's annual formal at Sea World (kind of. It was in Sea World but everything was closed and we didn't get to ride any of the rides or go to the exhibits or anything. It's like having dinner at Downtown Disney, which, from personal experience, is the WORST THING EVER. Your eating dinner RIGHT NEXT to the park gates and you can hear the screams of excitement coming from the patrons inside. That was a truly sad moment in my life). It was pretty tricky knowing what was happening though with the group of friends I was going with since I'm Phone-Free. I had to have my mom and sister do all the communicating, which I'm sure they weren't too thrilled about either. Everything turned out fine though, and I went to formal and had a swell time (phone less of course)

Formal is interesting, because it's the one high-school dance that EVERYBODY goes to, since Prom is for Juniors and Seniors and Homecoming is basically "The Freshman Dance". It's weird because I don't really consider myself the dance/clubbing/party type. I mean if you took one look at my innocent Asian face you would see why. However, there's something about school dances, particularly Formal, that just does something to me. It injects this strange, irresistible energy into my soul (pretencion for the win) and I just get really excited, really fast. I'm sure if I watched a tape of myself at formal I would wanna punch myself in the face. I'm that one guy who does stupid dance moves on purpose, and I kinda despise that person so I don't really know why I do it. It might have also been because it's a REALLY WEIRD FEELING not to have your phone at a dance. It's like being in this strange, loud, sweaty foreign dimension, knowing that earth is a million miles away. It was weird.

Well, Day 5 is finished and we're getting closer and closer to the much anticipated end (at least for me anyway). Stay tuned for Sunday's edition, which is sure to be the most boring edition of the blog yet. My legion of fans, rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment